Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Ship

Post number 2 subject: The Ship
The drive to Ensenada was a little over two hours. We got a few Cowboys games updates along the way. None of them were good. When we arrived to the ship port we unloaded with our carry on and headed to go through security. It went fairly quickly. As we walked through security and into the area where we boarded the ship, we had to walk through a little Mexican gift shop/Liquor store. I kid you not. We are not allowed to take alcohol on the ship, but we went through a shop after the initial security and screening. Good planning. We stopped at a few desks before boarding and turned a few things in, then boarded the ship. We were searched again and had our bags looked at one more time. The woman that searched us gave me a full rub down… I am very glad it was a woman to say the least. When we go on, we had to go through more check-in tables before we could go to our room.

When I finally got to my room, I got there before my roommate. I walked into the tiny room and had a tiny panic attack. It seemed so small and it was all off-white. It made me feel trapped. I started thinking, “What am I doing!? Why am I here?! I want to go back to College Station!!!” I went to the restroom, which is also very tiny and then was able to unpack after the rest of my luggage arrived. All of our stuff fits into our rooms perfectly and we have plenty of open space. I decorated my wall with all my pictures and magnets, and I felt much better! My roommate is really sweet and also from Texas. I do not feel trapped in my room at all! As a matter of fact, I took a nap waiting on my luggage to come!

Before we left port, we had a lifeboat drill where we all had to report to muster stations with life vests on. The Captain inspected us, and as he walked away from our group he stated that we were the best group he’d seen so far. Score! It is a good thing to be on the Captain’s side, because he had Marshall Law on this ship. What he says goes.
Our departure from port was delayed a little, but we all went and stood out on the deck to watch us send off. It was really neat to watch. It was funny how it hit us all round the same time. This is it; we are off on an adventure around the world. When we go to sleep, we were going to wake up and see nothing but water for several days. We were informed that our ship, the MV Explorer, is the fastest passenger ship of its kind in the world. So we don’t have to worry about pirates! Whoop!
Good news! I have not gotten sea sick and this is the third day of sailing. I think I am going to be ok! I took one pill for sea sickness just to be safe the first night, but never felt sick. Not many people are like that. I don’t use the patch, wrist bands or anything. I’m a champ. Knock on wood… I really just did.  The difficult part is walking, and it is actually hilarious. You take a step on one side of a hall way, and then end up against the wall on the other side. We are all working hard to achieve our sea legs! It is really entertaining. My biggest challenge is shaving my legs. Wow, got to be careful while attempting this daunting task! I have managed to only attain two smalls nicks around the knees.

Another adjustment I have to make is the schedule for meals. Meal times are the same everyday, and if you miss a meal, tough luck. There are snack bars available, but you have to pay for that stuff. I would rather not waste money on that, so I am going to wake up early for breakfast every day, and get a workout schedule started. You have to sign up for times to use the gym, so once I get my classes figured out; I will schedule my gym times. That will be more motivation for me to go, and that is a good thing!

I went to two of my classes today. Both of them seem like they are going to be ok. Not too much homework yet. I have two more tomorrow, along with Global Studies, which we have everyday. A day and B day.

No comments:

Post a Comment