Wednesday, January 20, 2010

San Diego

Subject for post : San Diego
I left the hotel in San Diego and headed for Mexico on Sunday morning at 9am. This would have been 11am in Texas. As I was struggling to drag down my heavy suitcases and bags, I ran into a guy wearing a Vikings jersey. This got me all excited and upset about the game. I really wished I could see it, yet now I’m almost glad I didn’t. We bantered about the game and our team a little and wished each other luck as we headed to separate busses. I ended up sitting next to a guy from Vegas but goes to SMU. Across from me sat a guy from OU and a guy from Georgia. It was nice to finally meet more people from the South. Both OU and Georgia beat us in football this year, but I guess I’ll live. We joked a little about football, but got along great, because we were all Cowboys fans!!! Then we all were a little depressed together when we heard the final score. What the heck happened? I am astonished and mad it ended that badly!

The night before we left the hotel, I went out to a little bonfire near the pool where many SAS (Semester at Sea) students were gathered. I met a girl from Baylor! Her name is Amy and she is so sweet. She dated a guy from A&M, so she spent every other weekend in College Station!!!! Someone who knew what I was talking about!!!!! We talked about our favorite places to eat, go out, and mutual people we knew. What fun! I can’t wait to look her up on Facebook and see how many people we really do have in common. The same morning we took the busses to Mexico, I also met a guy from Texas Tech. He was really nice, but made a face for a slight second when I said I was from A&M. LOL! I think we got over that, cause we both smile nicely and say hi when we pass each other on the ship.

Saturday before we left, I went with some girls I stayed in the hotel with to the zoo. We drug along a guy that stayed in the room next to ours. Poor guy was ready to go about 2 hours before we were, but we still all got along and had a great time. We were most excited about seeing the baby panda, and he wanted to see the polar bears. The baby panda was put away before we got there and the polar bears exhibit was under construction. Awesome. Yet, the San Diego zoo still had much to offer and we had a blast! We went back to the hotel to chill, and then the girls all headed to eat at In-N-Out Burger, where we all got hats, and then to Target for last minute supplies. Funniest thing ever… My friend Hillary thought it would be a good idea to push the shopping cart to the road and catch a taxi from there, so we didn’t have to carry all of our stuff all over the place. This plan was working well until we walked out of their parking lot and the wheels on the shopping cart locked up! This completely dumbfounded us, so I tried another cart. I took off pushing the cart as fast as I could and then it felt like I slammed into a brick wall when I hit the invisible line that locked the wheels. None of us had seen this before, and Hillary decided to test 3 other carts. Each one was as funny as the first. I’m pretty sure we all burned off In-N-Out Burgers from laughing at this. Around the time we decide to leave the shopping carts and continue to look for a taxi, a cop car rolls up and stopped next to us. We thought we were in trouble, but he asked us verbatim, “Have you seen a bunch of white guys beating the crap out of each other?” Haha! Nope. Guess we missed that. We went ahead and asked him the best way to catch a cab, because we hadn’t seen any pass the whole time we were there. He told us to go to the AM-PM, and there should be cabs hanging out there. It ended up being a gas station with no cabs. We looked up a number and called a cab, who said they would be right there. An hour later and 4-5 more calls, we finally got a cab. We had to call the hotel and have them send us one. We were getting nervous because the homeless crack-addict started doing something weird with his pants in the corner. We were really happy to see that cab!

No comments:

Post a Comment